Monday 3 October 2011

Berdans Sharpshooters and far too much to paint


Still have far too much to paint and as much as I love the Zouaves my sanity demands I work on other things.

My Project list is looking nice with the following still to do:

  • Union cannons
  • Regiment of Berdans Sharpshooters
  • Dismounted Calvary
  • Mounted Calvary
  • Union camp and tents
  • Ambulance

I’m currently working on the Zouaves but plan to complete one base of Berdans Sharpshooters whilst working on blocks of 12 Zouaves.

I will depict the Berdans Sharpshooters in the early war uniforms with the Sky Blue trousers.

As with the Zouaves I will:
  • Paint all the base colours
  • Apply a heavy wash of Devlin mud
  • Shade each area of the model
Example of Model with base colours applied
 After Devlin mud wash is applied

I have found that in some cases a single shade in the original colour is enough. In all other cases I will add white to the mix and continue to shade down.

Berdan Sharpshooters with base colours applied


My brush style has changed over the years and I now apply most fine highlights using a tapping method. Instead of drawing the brush along in a classic stroke I tap the brush on the model and work my way along.

The Sharpshooters are already based but this is not a painful experience as they are skirmishers with only 2 models per base. As you can see from the above pictures I apply sand to the bases.

No comments:

Post a Comment