Tuesday 6 September 2011

Painting Perry Miniature Zouaves - updated again!

OK, I haven't made a good start - far to keen to get 3 examples ready.

I intended to paint these figures on the spru then assemble them, but quickly decided this was a stupid idea. Next I thought I would assemble and paint 3 figures to a high standard - so how the hell did I end up with 3 complete bases! I wasn't drinking so I guess the glue was stronger than my tolerance - the joys of getting old.
These will be awkward to paint but I must "endeavour to persevere".

Once I have this insanity out of the way I plan to continue this exercise by making 12 figures at a time. I will glue them to a ruler, paint and then base them.

UPDATE 8/9/11
Here are a few progress pics. I am focused on getting the 155th Penn stand finished . All the base colours are complete and I have shaded the jacket and trousers. 

To get the Blue I mixed Shadow Grey and Electric Blue together and created a separate pot of the new colour (Zouave Blue). I washed the painted models heavily in Devlin mud to darken before I started to highlight the blue. Highlighting was achieved by adding more and more white to my Zouave Blue colour.
I assume you are all comfortable with the concept of Highlighting ;-?

Instead of using Devlin Mud to darken figures you can add a little black to the base colour and highlight up from there. Devlin Mud is probably a little lazy of me.

I work pretty heavily with Devlin Mud wash,  I find a watered down wash of mud is very good for grounding shading, especially after you review it in the morning and find the shading doesn't flow as it should. I hate looking at models in bright day light as they always disappoint. I plan on getting a couple of lamps with natural light bulbs to help address this failing.


The metal work on the models was achieved with the following formula.:
  • Paint metal areas in Charadon Granite
  • Use a common Pencil and lightly draw on the raised areas of the metal
  • Apply a liberal coat of Develin Mud

Not entirely satisfied with the effect (bit dull) so I might re-do with a Charadon Granite and Boltgun Metal mix.


Here are the other 2 stands (140th NY & 146th NY).



UPDATE 12/9/11
Bar the basing these boys are done. Reasonably happy with the results but conscious that I have to find a speedier technique - that's probably why I'm so Devlin Mud happy.



And thanks to my Son I now have 12 more figures waiting to be painted.  I must confess that painting progress was slightly interrupted by Xbox-360 and Space Marine.

Zouave Rack of Ribs to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment